[TenTec] In praise of older technology

k6jek k6jek at comcast.net
Sun Feb 23 15:44:05 EST 2014

We can morph the thread into just how bad was the old stuff.

I just got through resurrecting a Heathkit AR-3. On that one, the entire 80M band is about 3/4" of dial with tic marks every 100 kc. I actually used this thing on the air the other night although I have to admit even with a lot of TLC it's still a pathetic excuse for a radio, essentially an AA5 with a power transformer and band switching and a clever but kludgy BFO design right out of old regen receivers -- same triode section acting as AF driver and 455 kc BFO oscillator.

Old Ten-Tec gear is a real favorite among the vintage SSB crowd. Unfortunately, the cutoff is 1980. My Corsair is too new. It's considering lying about its age.

Jon

PS: Old Drake gear. Wonderful. I hope you still have it.