[TenTec] In praise of older technology

Carter k8vt at ameritech.net
Sun Feb 23 18:05:18 EST 2014

On 2/23/2014 3:44 PM, k6jek wrote:

> PS: Old Drake gear. Wonderful.  I hope you still have it.

Yes, I do -- and still in mint condition.

The back story...

I bought a brand new R4B when I was in the Chicago area for a 13 week
Bell System class and saw a classified ad from a fellow selling new
Drake equipment. It turned out that Allied Radio was getting out of
selling ham equipment and this guy bought all (or a lot?) of Allied's
ham equipment and was selling it privately.

When I got home to the Detroit area, a doctor was selling just a T4XB
transmitter only (go figure) in the Detroit paper classified section, so
I ended up with the  "matched pair".

73,
Carter   K8VT