[TenTec] In praise of older technology

R. Eric Sluder-W9WLW resluder at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 24 10:53:32 EST 2014

I say we (Ham's in general) will keep up this need for accuracy to the point of lodging complaints to the ARRL and then the FCC, and we will eventually be channelized like most other HF services.  Even the military works on channel assignments ya know.  I just had a conversation over Christmas break with an Army Capt. about how they use HF, and he said it's all channelized in their SDR radios and put into talk groups for specific uses (he would not elaborate beyond there, and I didn't expect him too).

I share the above negative outlook because if we're not careful, we're going to loose our "experimentation" view the FCC has viewed as part of our service.  I know the ARRL promotes to oru government that we're the emergency communicators and there are many among us who do, but there is still others who are experimenting.  Examples include open source HF digital communication taking place right now on 20 meters, and of course look at all of the digital data modes that keep popping up.  I could keep mentioning others, but I'll close with this.

If the other station doesn't like that you're not exactly on their frequency, just remind them in a gentle way that we're not a channelized service, and not required to use TXCO's that meet NTIA standards.  We're here to experiment and have fun.  Or, since I'm known for my candor... I'd probably say, suck it up cupcake!  :-) Of course, I'd add a chuckle at the end of that statement.

I'm currently restoring a TR-4c.  So this is going to be interesting when I get it on the air.

 73
- R. Eric Sluder

W9WLW
Omni VII