[TenTec] In praise of older technology

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Feb 25 11:30:42 EST 2014

  ** "personally I think ham radio has gone as far as it needs to go." **

That statement reminds me of the following:
"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
	--[by] Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

Regardless of what any of us think or wish or hope for, I would say "you
ain't seen nothin' yet!"

Give it 10, maybe 15 more years... we will be operating fully digitized with
spread spectrum communications.
We'll call CQ, where we won't know, and there's no telling what frequency
the guy answering us will be on, but we'll hear him anyway with solid copy.
And yes, CW will probably still be with us, at least if I still am.

NEXT:
** "oh there will always be a few tinkers to go into the digital modes but
really for what reason except to prove up well we are different that's fine
but I don't see where it can really apply on the ham radio bands." **

That's not quite accurate.   There is reason;  good reason:
The reason will be "for more reliable communications", including digitized
voice modes!

I caught the tail end of the AM era as an SWL in 1959, and the reasons I am
now hearing rejecting the digital future remind me of the reasons I heard in
the 50s and 60s rejecting SSB.

Bob, that doesn't mean my heart is in it.
My sentiments are more along the lines of what you wrote, but we are both on
the wrong side of history with those ideas!

In a nutshell:  we have become dinosaurs!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)