[TenTec] Good Mike Technique

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Feb 25 17:23:20 EST 2014

On 2/25/2014 2:02 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> I can agree with Jim on this.
>
> Proper use of compression  {emphasis on "proper} does raise the
> average audio level.  Excessive compression can cause a "pumping" sound.

Yes. In general, audible pumping is most often caused by bass content,
which is another reason for rolling off the low end of TX audio in ham
systems.

> Compression with incorrect attack and release times, largely defined
> by the program content, can also make things better or worse.
> Compressors with automatic variable ratio attack and release times
> plus variable input to output ratios do a really nice job to hold the
> audio level up and do not artificially color the sound.  The
> Teltronics LA-2A is a good example.  Also the CBS Labs VolumeMax  is
> another good one.

That's some pretty old iron, Bob. :)   TX compression is done quite well
in the Elecraft K3 and KX3, and I suspect Ten Tec stuff of recent
vintage performs well. Although Al Kahn was a CW guy, he was one of the
two founding partners of Electro Voice, and started Ten Tec with the
proceeds from selling EV.

73, Jim K9YC