[TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmitwithTenTecrigs

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Feb 26 16:22:02 EST 2014

Let me put some meat behind my previous post:

Filter:.....TenTec....INRAD....INRAD
Filter:.....Stock.....600Hz....2400Hz
-------------------------------------
- 2 kHz.....79dB......94dB.....85.5dB
- 5 kHz.....82.5dB....97dB.....95.5dB
-10 kHz.....86.5dB....98dB.....96.5dB
-20 kHz.....95dB......97.5dB...97.5dB

As you see, at 2kHz spacing, the BDR3 improves by 15dB with the 600 Hz INRAD
roofing filter.
There is nothing you can do to an OM7 or IC7800 (within reason) to come
anywhere near this level of performance.
NOTHING!

The fundamental difference here is the technical difference between upward
conversion and downward conversion.

AT THIS POINT Rob always jumps in and points out that it is not impossible
with upward conversion.
Indeed the PT-8000 achieves it, but at a $17K price tag.
That's why I added the modifier, "within reason".
For those of us who work for a living, $17K is beyond reason!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)