[TenTec] In praise of older technology AM transmitwithTenTecrigs

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Feb 26 17:04:43 EST 2014

Of course I am; but I am comparing a real live radio with a 9MHz IF and
INRAD filter to a couple of other radios with a first IF of 45MHz or higher.

And BTW, the 7800 has roofing filters.  Very expensive ones.
Even if you find a 3rd party filter for them (which I am not aware of), its
skirts (slopes) won't come anywhere close to that of the 9MHz filter.
It's simply a matter of fractional bandwidth.

And a second qualifier:  I am comparing a radio that readily exists (OM VI
with INRAD) to these other two radios.  Even if someone tries to add a
better roofing filter to the OM7 or 7800, it won't improve by much.  Just
won't have the steep skirts. Can't! (fractional bandwidth again)

Well... once again, it is not impossible to get a little improvement, just
impractical.
As proven with the FT-2000.
The add on high performance roofing filter for that radio costs $350 and was
very difficult to manufacture.
I know because I know one of the guys involved in the process.
And what was the result?
Some radios had halfway decent improvement with these filters, others did
not.
Seems the tolerances were all over the map.
Some OM were pleased, others were frustrated.  Frustrated, even after
spending $350 on a roofing filter.

Let's get real, here!
If you want super performance, then do yourself a favor and start with the
type of technology that easily supports getting there!  Don't start out with
a 15dB handicap.

AND LET'S ALSO NOT FORGET that 90% (or more) of all hams do not need the
additional 15dB we are talking about here.  For most people, the OM7 and
7800 perform better than what they need for the way they use their radios.

But if you want to ride in the fast lane . . . get a radio designed from the
ground up to do so!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)