[TenTec] [Ten-Tec-Omni-VII] Omni VII shut down at high current message?

GARY HUBER glhuber at msn.com
Sat Jan 4 21:55:47 EST 2014

I use a TT model 253 tuner with my OMNI-VII or CORSAIR-II and TITAN-425E (when required) usually to extend the usable BW of my top loaded HF-2V w/160 meter kit.  On 160M the top loaded HF-2V w/160M has a very narrow 15 to 35 kHz  2:1 VSWR BW.  The TT-253 requires about 45 W input to start tuning on 160M and as much as 85 W on 10M.  The maximum power for tune up of the TT-253 is 150W. The MAX power AFTER tuning is 2 KW. The tuning accuracy of the TT-253 is 1.5:1 VSWR maximum AFTER tuning and 2.5:1 VSWR maximum DURING tuning according to the manual. During tuning a resistive pad is switched in line.

Given the preceding,  I have seen MOMENTARY OMNI-VII TX METER (SWR) readings of 3:1 or greater during TT-253 tuning (at 50 W) and OMNI-VII  HIGH CURRENT warnings if I forgot to reduce the OMNI-VII POWER from 100W before cycling the OMNI-VII TUNE PWR to start the TT-253 tuning cycle. I have seen longer periods of HIGH CURRENT warnings when I have failed to retune the antenna after a QSY and for that reason I now keep the OMNI-VII TX METER in SWR so that can monitor the SWR seen by the radio.

I have routed the TX EN / TX OUT loop through the TT-253 and TITAN-425E so that if the TT-253 cannot find a match and goes into FAULT, the keying loop opens to shut down the transmitter.

Over the past thirty plus years, TenTec transmitter protection circuits (magnetic breakers or current limiting circuits) have kept me out of trouble when I switched to the wrong antenna, no antenna, or an unsuitable match for the output transistors of the OMNI-C, CORSAIR-II, PARAGON, OMNI-VI+, and now the OMNI-VII (and the old CORSAIR-II is still on the desk). I do not believe I have been lucky to have not damaged a radio, rather I feel TenTec design engineers knew mistakes happen during operating, or antennas fail during operating and knowing that they went about protecting the PA by limiting overcurrent to the PA. Having tested the TT power supplies’ built in PA protection has always given me confidence to share my radios during Field Day.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

I am an Ambassador for TenTec and may receive compensation as the result of my recommendations of new TenTec products.