[TenTec] On Switching Power Supplies

Ralph Matheny K8RYU mathenyr at marietta.edu
Thu Jan 16 20:53:18 EST 2014

I can assure you that a switching power supply made in
the manner of modern consumer products will either cause
noise in HF radio equipment when new or at a later time.
Avoid switching supplies at all costs, or be prepared to
toss them, filter them, or live with the noise.

Since they are everywhere running everything from your
laptop to your commode, it will be a long war.

I have had some success with the following setup.  I have
a cast box with a filtered AC jack on one end and a set
of feedthru terminals on the the other.  I put my laptop
supply inside the box, connect the AC and output leads,
and then screw down the lid.  It it might be possible to
build a larger case setup to hold the assortment of wall
warts, power supplies, etc. which are involved in the typical
ham station.

The light bulbs will be a bit more difficult.

de K8RYU