[TenTec] POSSIBLE REBUTTAL TO JB

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sun Jan 19 03:15:16 EST 2014

   HI -- I WROTE THIS REBUTTAL TO GOOD OL' JB BUT I DID NOT SEND IT AND
PROBABLY WON'T - BUT WONDER  IF IT MAKES SENSE AND IF NOT, WHY NOT...
HE JUST BURNS ME UP WHEN HE BLOWS ME OFF BY SAYING I AM IGNORANT... THAT
IS NOT AN ARGUMENT, IT IS JUST NAME CALLING...

OHHHHH..... HE BURNS ME UP...

ANY REASON THIS LOGIC IS WRONG?

	Note - Again I did not send it and probably won't
	but I am sick and tired of his being a bully instead
	of a teacher.

	-- JHR  --

DRAFT         DRAFT        DRAFT      DRAFT

On 1/17/2014 4:43 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> No, there is a gap in your knowledge of fundamental electricity and
> electronics.

	OK... once again, you tell me I am ignorant, rather
	than explaining it.    One does not need an
	engineering degree to get this.

	FACT - switch mode supplies are often noisy.   In fact,
	the new Chinese supplies have a knob to "shift" the
	noise when it adversely affects the operating frequency.
	You can debate whether or not that is "good engineering"
	practice, but there it is.

	FACT - linear supplies seem inherently less problematic,
	and don't seem to have these extra noise controls.

	FACT - historically, when switch mode supplies first
	arrived on the scene, there were many complaints about
	excessive noise - certainly more or different types of
	complaints than hams were expressing about linear supplies.

	If switch mode supplies were not inherently noisy, there
	would be no discussion about whether or not "good
	engineering practice" has sufficiently masked, suppressed
	or fixed them to make them useful in the shack.

	Your spin makes it sound like there is no issue or
	problem at all, and I don't accept that.

> No, we simply follow good engineering practice when designing and
> manufacturing the product in question.

	OK... I guess what you call "good engineering practice,"
	- I call masking and suppressing noise.  Manufactures
	have "improved" them over time, but I do not believe
	they have done a complete job of it.

	FACT - Ten Tec sells switch mode supplies it concedes
	make noise outside the ham bands - rendering them
	useless when using their own general coverage receivers.
	This does not happen with a linear supply.

  	So, you can call me ignorant...again... and smother me
	with a vitae of advanced degrees...but the fact is,
	I prefer linear supplies because they seem to be
	inherently less problematic, much quieter and do not
	produce the same noise my TenTec switch mode supply does.

	Paul Clinton admits switch mode supplies are noisy,
	but TT does not care, because they don't make noise in
	the ham bands.  Apparently they are not intended to
	work with their general coverage receivers and other
	radios.

> Enough with dumb analogies.  Go to the ARRL Handbook and study the
> fundamentals.

	I read that, and it sounds like switch mode supplies make
	noise that "good engineering pracitce"  is supposed to
	mask or suppress.    But, calling me names does not
	provide an explanation... It takes logic, science, and
	a little patience to accomplish that.

	The discussion is based on the fact that switching
	mode supplies are inherently noisy - or at least more
	noisy than linear supplies.   It did not just arise
	out of nothing.

	Anyone wanna buy my Ten-Tec switch mode power supply ??