[TenTec] Power supply types

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Mon Jan 20 22:49:03 EST 2014

Hi Bob,

I don't find the airplane comparison to be reasonable. In my example the
penalty for choosing the wrong power supply from a very limited choice,
with little information about the performance of the available choices,
is a week at the cabin without being able to hear weak signals on your
radio. In your example the penalty of piloting an unsafe aircraft could
be death.

I devised a hypothetical situation in which a person has limited time,
information and resources to select a power supply. I think anyone in
this situation who is experienced with HF radio and DC power supplies of
both the linear  and switched mode varieties would chose the linear mode
supply. Even those of us who know that "properly engineered" switched
mode power supplies do exist, are aware that the chances of getting RF
noise from a switched mode power supply are much greater than from a
linear mode one.

DE N6KB