[TenTec] Orion RX w/ boatanchor TX

K3GHH k3ghh at arrl.net
Tue Jan 28 20:33:51 EST 2014

I recently revived my first Novice transmitter (built from the 1957 RAH,
but originally described in a 1953 QST); it uses a 6AG7 at 10w input. My
plan is to use a coax relay on the antenna terminal of the Orion to
switch between TX and RX, cranking the RF gain down to use the Orion as
a transmit monitor (sidetone), as I used to use an SX-99 way back when.

Does this sound safe for the O2? If the method is OK for this little
rig, I'll probably try it with an AT-1 and a DX-20, maybe eventually my
DX-100.

--John K3GHH