[TenTec] Reactions to Omni VII Firmware Revision 1.036 and QRN Generated AGC Swamping?

David and Dianne on Comcast dhhdeh at comcast.net
Fri Jul 4 12:31:47 EDT 2014

Hi All,

Back in May, Ten Tec announced the release of
firmware Version 1.036 for the Omni VII.  Among a
number of revisions contained as outlined here by
John Henry on May 28th was "Improved handling of
QRN/impulse type noise so it wouldn't prematurely
load up AGC."

I do not recall reading any reactions to this
aspect of the 1.036 revision release on this
reflector or the Omni VII Yahoo group.

Last fall I posted here that this AGC issue needed
priority improvement as last summer's QRN here had
made the Omni VII's receiver's AGC very
susceptible to QRN initiated swamping. I sold my
Omni VII late last fall primarily because of this
issue when it appeared that no resolution was soon
to be forthcoming.

So, as we are again in QRN season here in MA, I am
interested what improvement in this QRN swamping
AGC issue has been realized in V1.036?

Ten Tec's new Omni VII pricing has me thinking
again as I really liked the Omni VII...but in
contrast to my Corsair II, Omni V.9 and my K3, the
Omni VII's QRN swamping issue as it stood last
year was not acceptable here. Has this been fixed?

Appreciate any of your feedback on or off the
reflector.

73 de N1LQ-Dave