[TenTec] On Noisy Transmitters

Sun Jul 6 08:30:08 EDT 2014

Rick brings up a very good point on transmitter noise.  It is something most
users won't likely realize is something that does truly exist.

I find, with several I've measured, do produce wide band noise that is
transmitted across the spectrum.  Basically it is polluting our bands with
noise, somewhat like one throwing trash out along the highway or leaving it
in the city park.

I for one am glad to see RSGB does measure and report this.  I wish ARRL
would do the same.  Of course it might affect their advertising revenue to
report a certain brand and model radio is a broadband noise generator.

I've just finished a weekend operation at Field Day.  Using the Eagle I
found there was no noise generated when it went into transmit.  {I already
knew this as I had measured it on the bench, which is one reason I elected
to use the radio.}  To that end, I know, I had my spectrum analyzer sitting
on the table.  As to other radios operating at the Field Day sight, well I
could see the noise floor rise when they transmitted. Some worse than
others.

Many of the radio companies are "self certifying" thus indicated their
product meets FCC specifications regarding purity of transmission.  The
question is "do they really meet the specification or just say they do?".
I strongly suspect if many of these brands and models were evaluated by an
independent testing lab, they would not meet the requirements an thus would
not be legal to be sold or used in the US or other countries for that
matter.

Be a good citizen, "Give a hoot and don't pollute".

73
Bob, K4TAX