[TenTec] On Noisy Transmitters

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jul 6 16:39:11 EDT 2014

On 7/6/2014 6:00 AM, Dave Edwards wrote:
> Rick....Without a bench of equipment...or a spectrum analyzer....is
> there a way I can "notice" phase noise of a noisy transmitter...or
> compare it to one that is not noisy in my shack?

Phase noise is that "wooshing" sound you hear off frequency with CW
keying from a strong signal that has a lot of it. Of course, phase noise
is present in both receivers and transmitters, so if your receiver has a
lot of phase noise you'll hear it on all strong signals -- it will be
your RX that is doing it. :)

So the short answer is, with two signals that are equally strong, if you
hear more phase noise on one than the other at the same spacing, it's
his TX. If they sound about the same for equal signal strength and
spacing, it's probably your RX.

73, Jim K9YC