[TenTec] On Noisy Transmitters

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Jul 7 05:08:20 EDT 2014

James, if you join the Elecraft group and read the history files, you'll
find lots of references.
One of them was an analysis of the circuitry in the 590, explaining what the
technical problem was and how Kenwood could have avoided it by spending just
a little more on better components.

BTW, both incidents I reported on had a pair of 590s, not just one.

Regardless, Bob has measurements of the 590 on spectrum analyzer, showing
the problem, and engineers have explained what the exact cause is, so it is
a bit ludicrous to argue statistics here.  Fundamentally, the reason is
"CHEAP".

If we all cry together out demanding cleaner transmitters, we will one day
get them.
But as long as people keep sticking up for the OEMs, they aren't going to
change anything.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of K8JHR
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 1:39 AM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] On Noisy Transmitters

I put little stock in one test at one site by one group of guys on early
production units.  I know there are loads of 590s in service in contest
group shacks and have been used happily on many FD sites, so the question
becomes one of statistical significance.

Rick reports on just TWO (early production) TS-590s at a German contest club
station.  I know Bob had a similar experience with one or two 590s at a US
FD site.  But I have NOT been presented with credible reports from any other
group and this has not been discussed to ANY degree on any of the 3 TS-590
web discussion groups - and I moderate one of those lists daily.

I do not dispute these stories ... I only wonder whether 4 or 5 reported
cases is statistically significant.  A great number of 590s are playing well
among other rigs in a great number of shack world wide without problems.  My
590 was nice and quiet and played well with other rigs close by.  I cannot
get too excited over this until I see more
(credible) data and (actual) documented cases.  There appears to be far more
than 12,000 units in service, and this is just not an issue among actual
owners.

(He said reaching for his Teflon suit.)     ;-)