[TenTec] Scientific Proof (TS-590)

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Jul 7 10:01:20 EDT 2014

Jim, Tim is definitely 'not sponsored' by Icom.
He does not even get reduced prices on the radios.
When they are broken, he pays the same price for repair as everyone else -
at least so he told me.

He also did not buy any of his radios new.  This is the important bit.
He watches out for unhappy owners who bought a 7700 or 7800 and decide to
dump them.
He buys all of his radios that way.  Saves a bundle.

Tim and I were in the same club together in Oklahoma City - Edmond Amateur
Radio Society.
We ran a few field days together and we used to have lunch together once a
month with a few of the local DXers and Contesters.  Tim repeated the story
above every time someone asked him if he was sponsored by Icom.

At that time he did not have a commercial relationship with Icom.
Of course in his current role as CEO of DX-Engineering, he does have a
commercial relationship with Icom.
But this only occurred a year ago.
Maybe now he gets a break but most of his radios have been on site for many
years.

Using monoband antennas and good bandpass filters, coupled with monoband
amplifiers does wonders for broadcasting a clean signal.  K3LR does all of
that.

If you have a multi-band antenna, such as a HyGain or Cushcraft trap beam,
or even one of our Spiderbeams with interlaced monoband yagis -all fed by
the same coax, you will rebroadcast broadband noise efficiently on other ham
bands.  Monoband antennas are a must for large multi-multi stations.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)