[TenTec] Source for TITAN 425 plate choke?

A R raf_3 at msn.com
Wed Jul 16 17:57:24 EDT 2014

Thanks to all for the leads and suggestions. My first thought was to rewind the damaged choke, since the core/form is still good. Actually, although the choke has obviously been overheated and I can see where one turn has been melted open, that turn melted into the two adjacent turns so the choke still has continuity. I think I have a spool of #24 enameled magnet wire, but it's in the un-air-conditioned garage, so I won't search for it until the damnable monsoon lets up. This amp may be my long-term winter project. The 10 ohm/25w plate resistor has also been VERY hot with the vitreous cooked off over a large portion.....but still 10 ohms. A replacement for that shouldn't be too tough. During initial inspection looking for "causes", I discovered that the ball bearing which loads/captures the rear of the loading cap shaft was missing, and the rotor shaft was just loose and wobulating with rotation. No evidence of arcing on the rotor blades, even though the rearmost blade came very close to the stator mounting rod nuts. Luckily, I had just the right .150 dia ball bearing, so at least that problem's been put to bed. The parasitic suppressors look good (not cooked/discolored). A pretty thorough VISUAL inspection hasn't revealed any other obviously failed components, but I'm sure that when I can finally apply power, I'll have an opportunity to uncover the root cause of failure.....assuming it wasn't operator brain-fade. (Sure hope the 3CX800A7's survived!)

>From what I've described in the way of damaged plate supply components, are there any "usual suspects" that lead to such damage in the 425's?

Thanks again for the help!

73,
Allen--W7GIF