[TenTec] Rigs at WRTC

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Jul 25 01:31:25 EDT 2014

Interesting mix of radios.
I'm sure the FT1000's had INRAD filters.

I would remind everyone what Rob Sherwood has been saying for over 10 years
now:

	"The BDR3 of a radio only has to be good enough."

	(Implied: it doesn't have to be the best radio to win.)

Initially Rob stated 70dB BDR3 for SSB and 80dB for CW.
In the meantime he has raised the bar by 5dB (75dB / 85dB).

The old TS-850S had 77dB (stock) and is better with INRAD filters.

20 Years ago our contest team standardized on the TS-850S, not because it
was a great radio but because it was a good enough radio that everybody
could afford (even the students).  The all time highest scores ever turned
in (world-wide) in CQWW CW and SSB were set using this old radio.

As Jim stated, the operators are THE main difference.
Being familiar with the radio is a very important factor enabling operators
to be good.

Most hams place far too much emphasis on a radio's position on Rob's
performance chart.
Rob continues to tell people:

	"The number one selection criteria for choosing a new radio is, you
have to enjoy using the radio."

Unfortunately his message seems to fall on deaf ears and people continue to
believe his chart is the gospel.

I'm a little disappointed, though.
I didn't see any Eagles on the list.  (sniff)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)