[TenTec] Rigs at WRTC

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jul 27 01:32:01 EDT 2014

In between slow periods in IOTA today, (and there are a LOT when you're
on the west coast) I did this. Here's the graph.  The closer the curve
is to the bottom of the graph, the cleaner the radio.

k9yc.com/TXPhaseNoise-1.png

As was noted. these plots is the noise in a 1 Hz bandwidth. Most of us
listen to CW with 400 Hz filters, and SSB with about 2.8 kHz, so we'll
hear the sum of all those 1 Hz pieces.  This is only the contribution of
phase noise to what you hear off frequency. There's also distortion,
both at audio and RF, and clicks.

Rick's team are definitely not wrong in their assessment of the TS590.
The best you can say about it is that it's not quite as bad as the
IC7600 that my neighbor uses to drive a legal limit amp. He's also a
retired NY lawyer, with attitude to match.

73, Jim K9YC