[TenTec] Q: Titan 425 resting current for healthy 3CX800A7's

A R raf_3 at msn.com
Sun Jul 27 19:25:58 EDT 2014

I've completed at least the initial resurrection of a long dormant, and neglected (abused?) 425, and have a question re what the resting current (keyed, no signal) of healthy 3CX800's should be in a 425. With 2600v on the plates, I'm reading about 8ma grid current, and 30ma plate current. These are "interpolated" values from the panel meters, so anything but precise, and I've not yet checked calibration/accuracy of the panel meter grid and plate currents.

Resurrection required re-attaching wires pulled from the ps rectifier board (solder failures), re-flowing all of the fractured solder connections on the ps J2 connector, replacing the blown 1-1/2 amp slo-blo F3 with the proper 4 amp slo-blo, replacing the burned original plate choke with the Ameritron/MFJ choke, installing the ball bearing in the rear of the "LOAD" capacitor shaft, and of course general cleaning. My word! Wonder what the original owner's first clue was that there might have been a problem. Smoke from the plate choke?

Haven't yet attempted actually loading the 425...just "burning in" the long-dormant 3CX800's (I know...but old habits die hard). So, any estimates or "swags" of what reasonable resting currents might be would be appreciated.

Tnx es 73,
Allen--W7GIF