[TenTec] Trading radios

Jim Allen jim.allen at longhornband.net
Sun Jun 1 14:17:47 EDT 2014

I may have a ground loop issue here.  The new to me Omni VI+ with 962 power
supply has an odd quirk, in that the power supply quits as I increase
power, but only on 40M, with either of my two antenna, but not with the
dummy load, and does the same thing with either the Omni VI+ or the Omni VI
opt3 I have had for awhile.  This quirk does not happen when using another
power supply, non-Tentec 23 or so amp.  On other bands, either radio,
either antenna, the power supply does not shut down.

I have an "Ugly choke" (20+' RG8X around a 4" PVC pipe) on the dipole at
the feedpoint of the AH-4 tuner.  There is a 4:1 UNUN on the new vertical,
with an RT-100 remote tuner.

I also get some hum in the computer speakers and now and then the computer
keyboard goes offline and has to be unplugged adn plugged back in.

The ground system is an 8' copper ground rod, in 36" or rock and dirt,
lengthwise, with a No. 2 wire into the shack to which each radio and power
supply is connected.  The No. 2 wire might be 10' or so, just enough to
come out of the soil, into the shack and up to the level of the desk.
There are also 3 prong plugs on all gear that plug into the AC.

Ferrites have been suggested but I don't know what kind or how many.
Ferrets were also suggested but the cats won't like that!

73 de W6OGC  Jim Allen