[TenTec] Orion 565 tuning encoder

Mike Schatzberg cherokeehillfarm at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 21 19:56:07 EDT 2014

An old encoder repair technique is to spin the encoder at a medium speed using a reversible drill with a hand chuck.

You need not disassemble anything other than remove the knob from the encoder shaft.

Using some finesse,  carefully attach the hand chuck and rotate the encoder on one direction for about 30 seconds. Reverse the direction of rotation and rotate again for 30 seconds. Then repeat the cycle once again.

This technique will help in clarifier applications where the encoder is causing rapid frequency excursions and erratic tuning as well.

The complications of disassembly can sometimes be avoided this way.

Simple, fast, easy to try.

73,

Mike
W2AJI