[TenTec] Triton I problem

Vic Klein vhklein at ptd.net
Sat Jun 28 09:12:51 EDT 2014

I have had a Ten Tec Triton I since the 70's. It was my main radio for
years, but has been relegated to a "suitcase station" that I sometimes take
on trips. I set up in a motel last night and had a few chats on 20m with
good signals in both directions off a hamstick clamped to the balcony
railing. This morning, while talking to a Columbian station who was S9 when
called, I saw his signal drop down to almost nothing, but assumed
propagation was changing. Alas, tuning around on several bands I see the
S-meter is not moving at all anywhere and I only hear a very few weak
signals. The antenna connections seem fine and I am still getting full
output on the SWR/power meter, so I suspect something, perhaps one of the 40
year old electrolytics, has died. No tools on this trip, so I have packed it
away until I get home after exercising the relays a bunch of times and
switching the band switch back and forth to no avail. Obvious place to start
will be the RF amp (80166), but any hints or suggestions will be welcomed.

=Vic=

WA4THR