[TenTec] OT - Desk Microphone Switch Issue

K8JHR jrichards at k8jhr.com
Mon Jun 30 18:49:22 EDT 2014

OK... Yeah, I only use WD-40 to loosen stuck stuff.  I use oils and
other lubricants to lube stuff.  WD-40 will lacquer in time and gunk up
the process.

I have some RadioShack contact cleaner (which I believe is re-branded
De-Oxit) and my worry is that it will damage the little brown "wafers"
which separate the switch elements or make them conductive in any way.

This is my worry:

I am a rookie, but I know phenolic surfaces may absorb fluids depending
on how porous they are. So I would not want to apply any polar
(conductive) stuff on them,  such as a solvent that has alcohol in it.
The alcohol could be absorbed into the phenolic wafer, and not
completely evaporate, making it conductive, causing the switch to short.

I figure... The DeoxIT D5 (flushing, slow drying version) or DN5 (quick
drying, non-drip version) should be OK on the CONTACT AREAS of the
switch, but maybe not if I get too much on the di-electric insulator
wafers in the switch mechanism.

SO... maybe I try a little contact cleaner, USING A COTTON SWAB to keep
it on the metal contact area, and keep it off the wafer material as best
I can.

Does this compute???