[TenTec] In praise of older technology

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 1 22:42:09 EST 2014

Ah! I've noticed this but never understood it. At least with the Globe Champ 350, the power output can increase quite a bit off resonance to the right, but the plate current also quickly gets way out of hand. I prefer using it to using my Orion II and my AL-1200 on AM, even though I suspect the Orion II may be a bit cleaner.

Anyway, I just tried it and, if I'm careful and limit the plate current increase to no more than 5%, the power output goes up just a wee bit faster than I'd expect based on the plate current increase alone. I had always secretly worried that the PA stage wasn't properly neutralized but, after very careful neutralization, I still saw it. I've modded my Champ so that it uses tetrode 8643s rather than the unobtainable pentode AX9909s.

When I followed this tuning, it was as the very last step in the tuning procedure, so I made no changes to the loading once I'd set the plate current.

Have I got the procedure correct?

Kim N5OP

"People that make music together cannot be enemies, at least as long as the music lasts." -- Paul Hindemith