[TenTec] Re(Ten Tec) In praise of older technology

JAMES HANLON knjhanlon at msn.com
Sun Mar 2 12:38:29 EST 2014

On the question of tuning for Dip versus tuning for maximum output, let me offer a few words of, I hope, wisdom.

First, the additional amount of power output that might be obtained by operating the rig "off dip" is so little that it will make absolutely no difference at the receiving end.

Second, you are very likely increasing the total amount of power dissipated in the final amplifier tubes by operating "off dip," and you are pulling more current from the tube cathodes as well.  Both will contribute to degrading the amplifier tubes' life.  Considering what replacement tubes cost these days, you probably don't want to shorten the life of your existing tubes in order to get a few watts more output from them.

You would probably be better advised to run the amplifier at somewhat less than full, ICAS class C ratings, that is to back off the fully loaded plate current a bit.  You would lose at most one or two dB on the other fellow's S-meter, and you would add considerably to the life of your tubes.

Jim Hanlon, W8KGI