[TenTec] Re(Ten Tec) In praise of older technology

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sun Mar 2 12:44:54 EST 2014

Jim,

When you say back off the plate current... I hope you mean back it off by
applying less drive.
Backing it off using the load control would be wrong, and cause splatter.

Also, I have been tuning my AL-80A for peak for 30+ years and the power has
dropped from a little over 900w out down to about 800w out. Still the
original tube.

The easiest way to avoid expensive tube replacement is to buy an amp with a
tube or tubes which are forgiving when you make a mistake.  The glass tubes
all were, the ceramic tubes mostly are not.

AND always monitor grid current on the glass tubes.
As long as you do not exceed Ig maximum rating, you will probably never blow
the tube(s).

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)