[TenTec] Before I call Ten Tec . . .

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Mar 4 12:10:11 EST 2014

Sherlock Holmes also said:

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence. It
biases the judgment."

Jumping to an early conclusions based on the first recognizable symptom is
probably the biggest mistake we all make when troubleshooting!  I used to
teach analytical troubleshooting for a very large computer company and
warned my students not to make that mistake.
It was very easy to teach that point, much more difficult to practice it!
;-)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Mike Bryce
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 5:31 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Before I call Ten Tec . . .

As Sherlock Homes said to Doctor Watson;

"Without the proper data, a detective has only guesses"

Mike Bryce WB8VGE
prosolar at sssnet.com

On Mar 4, 2014, at 9:12 AM, Jim Goudie <jagoudie at comcast.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies!
>
> First of all, a big confession....  After getting up this morning, I
looked at the rig, turned it on, and in my half-awake state I just played
around with it, as if some easy fix would jump out at me.  I'm glad and
sorry to say that one did.  Glad because all bands receive now... and sorry
because it shows how dumb I can be!

> I have another Omni VI which I was going to sell, until this one quit.
When I switched back to using that one, I moved all the filters over!!
Yup... my receive problem was that filters were selected that aren't
installed in the rig!  Not much gets through that way!  How dumb can I
be?!... receive problem solved.

> So I'm back to my original problem with no power out... not so easy.  I'll
report back after some more snooping around.

> By the way, I had forgotten that they don't work on Omni VIs anymore...
Thanks for the reminder and motivation to keep looking...

> Jim, AF3Z
>
> The revised edition of my original post:
>
>> Enter into this at your own risk ;-)
>>
>> I have an Omni VI opt 3 with no power out.  I've taken it apart, poked
around with my limited skills and VTVM.  Resistance checks on the power
transistors seemed ok.  R5 on the DC Input board (.015 ohms) checks ok and
the voltage is ok.  I've exercised the connectors and put Deoxit on them...
But the problem persists but my abilities to fix are limited.