[TenTec] In praise of older technology

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Mar 4 12:16:22 EST 2014

Drake was 1960.  Did you mean the L4-B or the transmitters with tubes?

I'm talking about modern amps built in the past 30 years.
In general, when dip and max smoke don't correspond, the final is not
properly neutralized.
But that was more of a problem tetrodes and pentodes, but generally not a
problem with triode tubes.

It certainly does not hurt to dip Ip.
It will not result in a different setting than peaking Pout.
It was never different on any of the 9 different tube amps I've owned in the
past 30 years.

Something like 30 years ago, I was still dipping Ip too.
However noticing that it always coincided with max smoke, I finally just
stopped checking Ip for a dip.

MUCH more important is to keep a close eye on Ig.
On all of my amps, I always marked the danger zone for Ig by drawing a red
line on the plastic meter front with a permanent marker (Sharpie or Eding).

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)