[TenTec] In praise of older technology

Kimberly Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 5 12:25:17 EST 2014

I have to mostly agree. As I was growing up, my Dad (W5JHJ, SK 2007) always treated the place we owned a bit like a rental: no holes in walls, no permanent installations of antennas, etc. I never liked that much and have, ever since, done to a place whatever I wanted to make it mine. As examples, I've drilled holes in walls for transmission lines and control lines and left two big 6 cu yd concrete cubes, complete with base stubs, at two previous houses I've owned. Of course, the bases stayed and I patched the holes when I left, but nobody seemed to care. Dad always wanted to be able to liquidate stuff at the best possible price, though he never did. And he would modify gear, but always did a very professional job.

I have an AL-80A into which I built a new power supply good for 4 kV at 500 mA with a FWB and a custom Peter W. Dahl transformer (over 20 years ago, Peter designed it over the phone with me as we talked). The single 3-500Z does quite well with that level of B+, is easier to drive and generates a solid 1 kW CW, a bit more with SSB. I also know that very few would touch it now because it's not "original," so it's my spare amp in case my AL-1200 ever has trouble.

So, at least in that respect, I live for the moment!

Kim N5OP