[TenTec] In praise of older technology

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 6 19:31:30 EST 2014

I hate to be pedantic and off topic (but that won't stop me)... I don't
think any helicopter tip are run supersonic because of huge efficiency
losses. Here are numbers for the Bell UH-1 Iroqios (aka the Huey)
helicopter. The rotor is 48 ft in diameter and max rotor speed is 324
RPM. Add to that the max cruise of 135 MPH, and I get a max advancing
tip speed of 1011 fps, about 100 fps shy of Mach 1 depending on
altitude, temperature, etc. That still might make a fair bit of noise
because there may be transonic shock waves on top of the tips.

One of the few aircraft parts I know of that will exceed (slightly) Mach
1 are the tips of a North American AT-6. It has a two-bladed prop and
the tips do slightly exceed the speed of sound at max RPM. The same
engine and propeller are on the BT-13 and both are amazingly noisy
because of that feature.

Tip speeds at an above Mach1 make for very inefficient propellers and
are typically avoided assiduously.

Kim N5OP