[TenTec] QSK or not?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Mar 18 02:37:03 EDT 2014

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Bob McGraw
- K4TAX
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 1:27 AM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QSK or not?

The biggest problem, as I understand, comes from operators using a non QSK
qualified amp in a QSK mode.  At this point one can expect relay failure due
to hot switching.

As most amps do have the provision for monitoring SWR I suggest monitoring
the SWR indication for an indication of hot switching.  After tune up
typically one will have low SWR..  If during keying one observes a higher
SWR value they can be assured that hot switching is taking place within the
amp.  If this is the case, be assured the relays are taking a beating
electrically and will likely soon need attention.

Do note the same situation when operating VOX.  Most radios provide some
degree of key-up delay when in CW but there is typically no delay during SSB
operation.  Thus when the voice activates the VOX there is RF applied to the
amp without any delay.  I find this to be a sure bet for realy hot
switching.

73
Bob, K4TAX