[TenTec] QSK or not?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Mar 20 12:16:41 EDT 2014

Yes, you are correct, but when you add the terribly expensive external
circuits, the amp no longer attempts to follow CW keying with its internal
relay.  The Ameritron amps can only run clean QSK with a $500 add-on, which
my experience has been, are not real reliable.  My experience is based on
personal use for a few years, and knowledge of experience of several other
members of my contesting club.

If you want to run QSK at more than about 10 wpm, it would be better to
purchase an amplifier with a high speed T/R relay.  There are plenty of them
on the market.

I personally switched to a QSK Technologies amplifier.  In fact I bought two
of them.  Never had any problems with them.

Today I only have an older Ameritron (clone), the SB-1000, and I just don't
run "full" QSK.  For contests I set the timing such that I can hear between
words.  IMO, there is no tangible loss of functionality compared to full
QSK.
For normal non-contest QSOs I run about 1 second hang delay, which helps me
keep what little bit of sanity I still have left.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)