[TenTec] Corsair II noise blanker

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Mar 28 12:22:37 EDT 2014

The problem is with radios that have a DSP-AGC.
The Omni VI+ and Corsair-II do not have DSP-based AGC.

The problem is with almost every transceiver currently on the market, except
those I listed previously (Flex, Elecraft, and recently the Ten-Tecs).  It
was not a problem in radios 10 years ago or earlier.

Rob demonstrated this in many of his past presentations, using audio files
to show how bad it was.
In fact he used the OM7 as a typical example of how bad it can be.

If you want to see and hear a specific example of this, one of the best
places to go is Rob's 2009 BARC (Boulder Amateur Radio Club) presentation.
Go to slides nr. 62 ("AGC Impulse Noise Anomaly"), then view the next 3
slides as well.

On slide 63 (bottom screen shot) you clearly see the pulse that is causing
the disturbance to the AGC.  The two audio clips are in files entitled
"ImpulseRight30Sec.wav" and "ImpulseLeft30Sec.wav".  This was a simultaneous
recording of two radios at the same time on the same frequency, with a 756
Pro III recorded as "Right" and the OM7 recorded as "Left".

This presentation is on my web site, along with the HUGE audio file.
I have also extracted the two audio clips and show them as separate
downloads at the bottom of the page.
http://www.dj0ip.de/transceivers/sherwood-presentations/barc-2009/?logout=1

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)