[TenTec] Wide roofing filter for the RX-366?

Kimberly Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 2 09:48:06 EDT 2014

I should stipulate in my FD story that we most certainly *could* hear transmitted IMD and transmitted phase noise from the phone stations and a digital station, which limited useful close-in receive capability. But that stuff has a very different characteristic than does IMD generated within the receiver.

I also have a TS-930S (bought new in 1982) in which I have installed the Inrad 6 kHz roofing filter (40 MHz 1st IF). Prior to this, the receiver didn't do well in FD environments (to put it mildly) but with the 6 kHz roofing filter it, too, became nearly immune to receiver IMD from other stations on the same band. When I took it to FD, other ops were surprised that I didn't have the troubles they were having. Thus was the the old dog taught a new trick!

In many ways my TS-930S is more convenient to take to FD because it has a built-in power supply. With the PIEXX board installed, it's also subject to computer control and so suitable for computer logging. With the requisite power supply mods, it has become a very nice FD/visiting contest radio with a bit less transmitted IMD than the 12 VDC radios because it runs the driver and PA at 28 VDC.

Kim N5OP