[TenTec] (no subject)

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed May 7 00:05:08 EDT 2014

On 5/6/2014 8:47 PM, K8JHR wrote:
> And I agree.  Yesterday, I spent three hours playing with a friend's
> K-Line station and he has the large screen option - and it is way
> "cooler" than the little screen on the P3.  Presumably, Elecraft
> figured there was sufficient demand to make it.

Hi James,

Sorry if I misinterpreted. The SVGA is FAR more than a big screen. It
has its own FFT, with more bins, and can show MUCH longer waterfall
times. This is VERY useful in a contest when you're looking for a run
frequency, and also understanding a DX pileup. Thank N6TV, a winning
contester who told them what he wanted. You can, for example, see the
frequencies where one or more lids is always transmitting but never
listening, and avoid them. :)

The P3 also displays the output of the K3's decoder (PSK31, RTTY, CW),
and if you plug a keyboard into it, anything you type can be sent in
those modes. There are also a bunch of programmable memories to hold
messages. It's possible (even pretty easy) to work a DX RTTY pileup
using only the decode function in the K3, and send your response either
from the keyboard or a paddle.

Yes, I know this is the Ten Tec list. Perhaps someone at Ten Tec will
see this and add some of this capability to their product line. :)

73, Jim K9YC