[TenTec] (ham station computer choice)

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed May 7 14:35:22 EDT 2014

James, you didn't give us any specifics.
"Which" Dell products?
Remember, they all make consumer products and business products.
There is a world of difference between the two lines of products.

If you stick with their business products, i.e. Latitude for laptops and
Optiplex for desktops, you should have no problem at all.

Also, if you are familiar with the history of Dell, they only targeted the
consumer market in their early years.  They begin a heavy focus on
Enterprise class computers in the mid 90's.  Took them a while to ramp up
their quality.  Today their business computers are excellent and have been
for a dozen years or so.

What they were like 25 years ago doesn't really matter.
It's what they build and sell now that matters.

I've recently had 3 Latitudes and 3 Optiplexes and none had any problems
like that.
All were off-lease units.

I also challenge the statement "the most reliable electrically quiet
machines were home built,"

Any PC Purchased from digital Equipment as early as 1985 was totally quiet
and highly reliable.
Of course DEC only built business class products.
When I set up Germany's first Packet Radio Cluster in the early 90's, I used
a "used" DEC PC (a VaxMate).  It ran 24x7 for another dozen years without
failing. It was then replaced with a more powerful PC, but continued to run
another couple years before finally going belly up.  We had a second VaxMate
as a spare, which was used privately for the same length of time.

Also, one thing that people should understand is, brand new products
(components) can have intermittent problems.  Most of the time it won't be a
problem but when it happens, it can be a costly hair-pulling experience.

When you build your own and it crashes once or twice per day, randomly, due
to an intermittent memory bank or mother board, it is very difficult to find
the problem unless you have spares to swap in and out.  I have had this
happen twice with home-brew PCs, and I always built with top quality
components. Once I located the problem by swapping the board back and forth
a few times and was 100% sure, I tried to get a replacement under guarantee.
I was told both times the intermittent board tested good.  They refused a
refund or replacement.

Yes, it is usually easy to build your own, but sometimes shit happens.  So I
would warn people not to believe that just because someone had done it a
couple of times and was successful, that it is always that easy.  Murphy is
still alive and kicking!

BTW, I also figured out the refurbished Dell deal about 5 or 6 years ago and
since then, I have stopped building my own computers.  No need.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)