[TenTec] (ham station computer choice)

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed May 7 17:39:30 EDT 2014

James, for the record, you are the only person in the entire group
constantly discussing speech recognition.
I know nothing about it and am not interested in it.

The rest of us are speaking about sensitivity to RFI when using a computer
in the shack.

You obviously haven't built enough computers to come across this problem yet
and you have been lucky with the 2 or 3 that you built.

Perhaps it's one in a hundred but eventually you get a board with an
intermittent problem.
It happens with computers, radios, etc.  Everything using electronics is
subject to this.
I have experienced it twice when building computers, but in my 10 years as a
computer technician, very often!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of K8JHR
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 10:42 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] (ham station computer choice)

On 5/7/2014 2:35 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> James, you didn't give us any specifics.
> "Which" Dell products?

	Nope - wrong forum.

	Trust me... it was NOT 25 years ago... and at one
	time I was as nearly as expert on speech recognition
	hardware as you are about radios.  And they WERE Dell
	business computers ... don't get me going on this.

	Please - Let it go at that, OK.  I can cited more actual
	cases than you have had beers.

	But, this will end up going WAY off topic... sorry
	I went there at all, now.

	I think you may be out of your element when it comes
	to discussing the history of speech recognition, so
	let it go now, OK.   I was a beta tester for every
	company in the market since 1992, except one (Phillips
	left the US market around 1999) and I was hired to
	test and review hardware for this use over many years.
	I had a direct line to the Chief Architect of Speech
	programs at Microsoft, the product manager and
	programming engineers at DragonSystems, and Nuance,
	and ScanSoft,  and also worked for Lerhnout & Hauspie,
	IBM, Kurzweil AI, and some others I am sworn not
	to even mention.  IBM once paid me a fee for the right
	to quote me on the product box.  Vendors compensated
	me for my reviews.  Even got a HEIL PR-20 microphone
	to review and then keep - sounds good in the shack,
	although I prefer Shure and Sennheiser gear most of
	the time.

	I was there as it developed.  So, let's call a
	truce now, OK.   This is not the place to debate
	computer gear.

> When you build your own and it crashes once or twice per day,

		Bull puckey.   No crashes here.

> Yes, it is usually easy to build your own, but sometimes shit happens.

		BUll puckey... no problems here!

		Just ain't so.   Let it go, Louie...!

		Please... do not make me hurt you!

		[He said all in good humor and to a good friend.]