[TenTec] TenTec and Alpha merger not a good thing

Chuck Gerarden cgerarden at atomix.com
Mon May 12 14:20:57 EDT 2014

As an owner of TenTec (and Alpha) gear for many years, some bad and
some good,I think this merger may not save the dysfunctional
company/brand that TT has become. They have designed nothing
innovative since the Orion..
They seem to just repackage old technology into new boxes at a higher
and higher price. TT is only alive at this point because they can
generate service revenue. I don't know anyone buying their products.
Do you?
The new SSB Ardino QRP radio sounds like a desperate move IMHO.
Elecraft has simply eaten TT lunch the past 5+ years and TT never
responded to their competition. I sold the last of my TT gear (Orion
II) a year ago, just a month before the Orion II was
discontinued. The TT acquisition may simply drag down the Alpha brand
with the TT brand. Here are a few questionsfor both companies:
1. Why can't Alpha build a relaible 1KW+ solid state amp?
2. Why can't TT build a good SDR transceiver with a front panel (Like
a KX3)?
These are 2 products many friends of mine have indicated they would
like to buy. Neither one of these companies has innovated anything
new for a long time. Sure an Alpha 9500 with 5 microprocessors can
output 1.5 KW with a brick on the key, but can't keep from
faultingwhen the wind blows hard.
Unless both these companies come up with some new and leading edge
products, I think both are toast. As a brandI take seriously, TT is no
longer on my list. Please no flames, these are my OPINIONS. You are
welcome to express yours too.
ChuckW0DLE