[TenTec] TenTec and Alpha merger not a good thing

K6JEK k6jek at comcast.net
Mon May 12 21:17:09 EDT 2014

I've done both. Lost the 3CX800A7s in the Titan (operator error) and the MRF454s in the Hercules, cause unknown. I had to take out a second mortgage for the tubes. A new matched pair cost $995. I found pulls. The transistors cost $30 each. I put in 4.  I put them in. No trip to the shop. Pretty easy. Taught me a lesson or two.

> On May 12, 2014, at 5:45 PM, Cecil <chacuff at cableone.net> wrote:
>
> I agree...I think it will come at some point...were just not there yet.  I'm happy with a pair of 3-500ZG's that don't balk at reflected power over 2.5:1 and can be replaced every 10 or 15 years for a few hundred dollars.  One trip to the repair shop for a handful of blown finals in a SS amp will exceed that these days.
>
> I've heard Elecraft had built a prototype 1kw SS but still short of legal limit levels being asked for.
>
> Cecil
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On May 12, 2014, at 7:36 PM, k6jek <k6jek at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Cecil,
>>
>> I'd bet on the transistors, maybe not now but soon and for the rest of our lives.
>>
>> People seem to really like those expensive Italian amplifiers, the Expert 1KFA and now 2KFA. I notice that the use-a-super station-over-the-Internet service, remotehamradio.com, seems to have them in all their stations. I bet the Alpha guys are paying attention to that product line, high end, premium priced, all solid state, seemingly  successful.
>>
>> People seem to also like the Elecraft KPA500 maybe for exactly the reason you don't like. It's tiny. Only 500 watts, though.
>>
>> Elecraft demonstrated a 1K solid state amp out here at Pacificon but haven't brought it to market. Maybe they will yet.
>>
>> And of course, I'm happy as a clam with my Ten-Tec Hercules II. I'd be happy as three clams if it were 1500 watts not 500, even though the power supply takes two men and boy to lift. I actually sold my Titan after I got the solid state amp. They are just so quick and easy and quiet. And they don't heat up the shack leaving that task to my many, old boat anchor pieces.
>>
>> Now that I only have 500 watts instead of 1500 I have to speak more loudly into the microphone and push the CW key just a little harder.
>>
>> Jon
>>
>>> On May 12, 2014, at 5:03 PM, Cecil wrote:
>>>
>>> Been a year since you owned a Ten-Tec product but you remain a member of the list...strange.
>>>
>>> And I do disagree with you on several points.  You sold the best SDR with a front panel radio when you sold the OII.  Yea you can't hold it in the palm of your hand....don't know many folks really looking for that...except QRP ops and back packers...tiny market.
>>>
>>> As far as amps...why couldn't Tokyo Hypower build a successful 1k+ amp...why doesn't Elecraft build a reliable, successful 1k+ amp....and how about Acom...all tubes....because it's costly and it's hard to compete with tubes.  Besides everyone knows real...serious amps use tubes....and there is really no good reason they shouldn't.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't trade my OII and Centurion even for a K3 and their 500w SS amp....don't like tiny radios.
>>>
>>> No flames...just another opinion....
>>>
>>> Cecil
>>> K5DL