[TenTec] First Solid State Transceiver

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue May 13 04:21:29 EDT 2014

Jim, it's a close call on who was first.
I believe the Argonaut 505 was the first fully transistorized 5 band SSB/CW
transceiver.
It was followed by the Triton 100w "Input" (50w) transceiver and then the
Triton II which ran 100w "Output".

At almost the same time, Swan was selling its SS-100 (100w in, 50w out)
transceiver, soon followed by the SS-200 which had 100w out.

I was on a tiny DX-pedition to Andorra (C31IL) in 1975 and we ran a Swan
SS-100 off of our VW camping bus' battery for about one week.  Of course we
ran the car's motor a lot to charge the battery and run the heater at night.

I don't know which month each of these rigs announced but they definitely
revolutionized ham radio and expeditions.  It would have been impossible to
run a week off a car battery using a tube radio.

When I returned to Andorra (C31SE) in 1979, I ran the CW station for 10 days
off of a car battery.  I was using an Omni A (Analog) with its dial lamps
switched off and running 50w.  We had one generator but it was at the SSB
tent.  I had 3 batteries and we would charge them either in one of the cars
or from the generator.

For its day, the RX in the Omni was OUTSTANDING!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)