[TenTec] Tentec and Alpha is a good thing

Tue May 13 08:09:11 EDT 2014

I agree with Jim on this point.  One of the issues we face on the bands
today is the crud generated largely by solid state amps. Be they the 100
watt class, the 200 watt class or the 1KW class.  We need cleaner
transmitters and amps, not more power.

The solid state amp, be it the PA in the radio or external, has a very hard
knee where by it is quite clean up to a point and then breaching the crest,
it goes extremely nasty.  Thus the "nasty" is not what is heard on
frequency, but what is produced as products likely distributed across the
bands.  Tube amps have a soft knee which makes the area much smoother and
generates much less crud when slightly overdriven.  This over drive issue is
largely the result of the time constants in the ALC circuit of radios on the
market today.  Some are really bad and do not control peaks adequately.
I've measured a couple of current models and found the ALC overshoot to be
notably over 100 watts and one was found to be near 150 watts.  With their
internal solid state 100 watt PA's this spells trouble.

We must realize the number of old amps on the air today, the SB-200's,
SB-220's, TL-922's. L4-B's and a host of others.  Hams are cheap and are not
willing to invest by spending $3000 to $5000 for a new amp.  Why do you
think Tokyo High Power went out of business.  Too expensive and not enough
customers.  Why the Titan discontinued?  Too expensive and not enough
customers.

Regarding manufacturing, I think many would agree that any company would
prefer to make a million pieces selling for $1 each as opposed to making one
piece selling for a million dollars.  There's very little profit in small
volume production unless the mark-up is quite high or NASA is making the
purchase.  Thus why do we see the "less than $1000 transceivers" selling
quite well?  Why do you see all the products in the catalog from MFJ?  It is
PRICE vs. value vs. performance vs. quality.

I personally view the merger/acquisition as a very positive move for both
companies.  Yes, there will be changes and likely ones we won't care for.
After all, we typically are one that resist change.  In the long run, I see
it a very positive move.  We just need to be prepared to accept change.

73
Bob, K4TAX