[TenTec] Eagle problem?

Carter k8vt at ameritech.net
Thu May 15 15:20:41 EDT 2014

On 5/14/2014 5:56 PM, Stuart Rohre wrote:
> Some Yaecomwoods do suffer from RF entering the rig.
>
> MOST ANY rig will if you have a bad shield connection on coax jumper,
> or have rig too close to the antenna, (second floor shack), and there
> are many other rig and feedline issues to rule out in any RFI case.
True, can be many causes, but I am in a basement shack. Also, a few
years ago, I used a Drake TR-7 on SSB with everything else the same and
it worked fine. However, I realize that the TR-7 was not as
"computerized" (dependent on microprocessors) as the Omni VI.

> Rule of thumb:  Power all equipment from same circuit breaker of the
> house.  That ensures AC grounds will not be coming from widely
> different locations.  IF you have to use a long ground wire for
> lightning protection ground on the station (like from second floor
> shack), consider that it could act as an "antenna" for pick up of RF
> from the real antenna. You may need tuned radials, or a radial for
> each favorite band.
Good tip and I believe I am on the same breaker for all the ham
equipment. Again, a basement shack and 5 or 6 feet of a single 3/4 inch
wide braid from the ground  of each piece of equipment to the ground rod
right on the outside of the basement wall.

> You could always examine the quality of the grounding of the mike
> cable shield.  Some older mike cords had just a multi-strand wire
> wrapped in one direction and not a hatch pattern wire shield. Some
> aluminum foil shields don't make a good low impedance connection by
> clamping. (Connections that can't be soldered are suspect).

Should have mentioned this earlier, but back in the day before I used
any computer interface, I had the problem with both a TT 705(?) mic and
a Heil Pro headset. Probably unlikely that both were defective.

73,
Carter   K8VT