[TenTec] Eagle problem?

Carter k8vt at ameritech.net
Thu May 15 15:25:23 EDT 2014

On 5/14/2014 4:53 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> My first rule of  engagement......."if it is a mike connect it to the
 > mike input.  If it is not a mike then don't connect it to the mike
 > input."

Yeah, but...

I HAVE connected the mic to the mic input -- a 705(?) TT and a Heil Pro
headset. Neither works above ~ 10 watts input, even with the mic cable
using various styles and quantities of ferrite chokes. And this was with
NO computer interface anywhere (unless you count the KAM+ connecting to
the rear panel FSK jack).

> I recall that the Omni VI has  an Audio Input on the rear.  This is
 > the place to connect the audio data for the radio.  Now with that
 > being said, in doing this one needs to terminate the audio line at
 > the radio input with a 270 to 470 ohm resistor.  There is already a
 > 10K build out resistor on the inside. Adding  the R at the cable end
 > effectively forms a L pad or attenuator. This R can be added
 > physically inside the RCA connector on the cable or across the
 > female RCA jack on the inside of the radio.  The objective is to get
 > the signal level higher on the cable from the computer/interface to
 > the radio thus improving the signal-to-noise ratio.  In this case
 > the noise is RF.  Even a step further is to add some 10 to 20 dB
 > attenuation in the form of a Pi attenuator at the connector end at
 > the radio.  This will require the audio level to be raised at the
 > computer/interface.

You are correct. There is an RCA jack on the rear panel that is
connected right to the front panel mic jack through a 10K resistor.Your
idea of terminating the rear RCA jack with a low value resistor is
certainly worth a try.

> The MIC gain on the radio  should operate about the 9 to 10 o'clock
 > position. Be sure the Speech Processor is not active.  Set the radio
 > for 100 watts and adjust the audio level from the computer/interface
 > to produce some 35 watts of output.

Correct, I -never use the speech processor.

> I've used this very  successfully on a Paragon, a Paragon II and two
 > different Omni VI radios.  I also use VOX to handle the RX/TX
 > switching.

Not using VOX. Have a "Rig Blaster Advantage" that I just got a month or
two ago to do PSK and JT modes -- and that is what finally brought the
situation to a head and prompted my original post.

73,
Carter   K8VT