[TenTec] COmputer hook up to Omni VI+

Frank A. Ellis w3uhf.frank at gmail.com
Fri May 16 11:09:20 EDT 2014

Hi Jim,

There are two separate issues regarding interfacing. First, the ICOM CI-V data (present at the 1/8" jack on ICOM radios, as well as the Ten-Tec Omni VI) has a different data voltage level than is required by the computer. Therefore, a "level converter" is needed to convert the CI-V voltage levels to ones appropriate for the computer. The ICOM CT-17 Level Converter was a popular "box in the middle" between the radio and computer that accomplished this function. The CT-17 interface port to the computer was serial, not USB. If you wanted to use the CT-17 and connect to a USB port on the computer, a serial to USB adapter cable would be required. That is the second interface issue.

Fortunately, there are single-cable interfaces today that accomplish both the voltage level conversion from RS-232 to serial level, as well as the physical transformation from the 1/8" CI-V jack to a USB plug, all in one simple cable. As TJ stated, the necessary electronics to do this are packaged inside the cable-end boot, typically at the USB end. They are powered from USB power available from the computer's USB port, and unless you knew there was a small PCB inside the connector end, you would swear that it was nothing more than a simple cable, with a 1/8 jack on one end, and a USB connector on the other.

I bought several of these cables from a seller on eBay named "Kawamall" and they work very well. Since the Omni VI uses the ICOM CI-V protocol at the rear 1/8" jack, any cable such as this may be used for a simple USB computer interface to the Omni VI.

Hope this helps.

73, Frank W3UHF