[TenTec] Zeus ZS-1 SDR Transceiver

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu May 22 16:32:24 EDT 2014

Wade,

Sri, I can't answer your questions.
I really don't know much about these knobless radios.
Probably never will. Doubt that I'll ever buy one.

I just wanted to jump in and defend the Zeus because our old friend Scott, W4PA, is the US distributor for these radios.
>From a technology standpoint, it kind of looks like a QRP version of the 6300 to me.  But don't put too much faith into that.  I really don't know.

Too bad your Eagle must go back.  The Eagle was the last thing I purchased, just before I retired.  Figured I probably would never be able to afford a good rig again after retirement.  Sure glad I took that leap.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Wade Staggs
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:50 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Zeus ZS-1 SDR Transceiver

*Thanks Rick,*
*                           My friend has the Flex 1500. He is always
Doubling with folks On the Air. From the time he keys the microphone until the Scope and Watt Meter shows Output is about 3/4 of a second. We have not looked at Receiver Delay in real time. I have even taken my Quad Core Monster with 8 Gig of RAM out by his home, to see if the added Processing Power/Speed would help. It is a strange situation to say the least. Do the Newer Flex Rigs have this issue? Is there a way to cure this with the Flex 1500? Time to say something about Ten Tec now. Ron, the Flex Owner currently has my fully restored Omni D and he will not give it back.
Recently, he got to see the Eagle that is here on loan from Bob/K4TAX. My old buddy Ron, is currently selling lots of stuff on Epay/Ebay on a build up to own an Eagle. My Paragon is getting a well deserved going through.
Connectors and Connections, DeOxit is the best thing since Sliced Bread.
The PA had some very Domed Capacitors inside, plus we are cleaning up some other issues. One of the transistors on the Control Board was reading 5K resistance between Emitter and Collector but the Rig was still working.
Almost to the point of doing a Shotgun Check of all the Wet Capacitors with the Trusty old ESR Meter. Only about a week and a half left before the Eagle goes home. And we sure will miss the Eagle. *

*                                              Later down the Log 73
Wade/KJ4WS*