[TenTec] tenTec merger, etc.

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu May 22 16:49:35 EDT 2014

Cecil,

As long as we all sit back in our leather chairs in our shacks and let this
happen, I'm sure it will.
If we get out there regularly and continue to demonstrate our knowledge and
skills, perhaps our participation will be welcomed and appreciated.

"GOYA" is key here.

However most of us are probably just like me.  Been there, done that.  To
old, too lazy and no energy or condition to do that anymore; let the kids do
it.  Trouble is, there are no kids in our ranks; at least not enough.  It's
not going to happen.

We have two choices:
 -- GOYA  (It's time to move your body ;-)
 -- let it become a self fulfilling prophesy

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Cecil
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:25 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] tenTec merger, etc.

It's a contingency...when the world turns to crap the government is going to
commandeer the Amateur radio spectrum and you won't be allowed on it. It
will be under control of the local agencies...we trained them...tested them
and equipped them through our tax dollars for the inevitable...to replace
us....because we are not in their command structure.  Even though most of
them don't have a clue hoe it works...and don't really want a clue.  It's
just another tool in their tool box when the interoperability on the other
taxpayer provided systems break down.

I try not to be cynical but I've not thought this to be good from the
beginning...it just never smelled right to me.

Cecil
K5DL

Sent from my iPad

> On May 22, 2014, at 12:09 PM, Jim Lowman <jmlowman at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> And ARRL loves to crow about the increase in individuals getting licensed,
and the all-time high in total licensees in the US.
> Well, folks, this is where a lot of your new Technicians are coming from.
>
> In many public agencies, especially those who are first-responders, staff
are being "encouraged" to get their Tech. license.
> I have a good friend who is Deputy Chief of a local fire department.  He
has his Tech. license, and a couple of HTs, but has no interest in going any
farther in ham radio.
> I tell him about the regional hamfests and conventions that I attend, and
the HF antennas and equipment that I buy, but I may as well be talking into
a mic with the power to the radio turned off.

> 73 de Jim - AD6CW
>
>> On 5/21/2014 9:28 PM, TTMaven wrote:
>> Your comments fit with my take... after attending the Homeland Security
Forum at Dayton last week.  The government workers are getting ham licenses.
They think that gives them training as radio operators.  It appears they
will be in charge, and we must work for them.  Not that is all bad, but we
will not be in charge. The image of the ham operator showing up to save the
day is long gone already.  Hams "might" be used as auxiliary operators, when
there are not enough trained government guys, and hams will be working for
the govt boys - not the other way around.