[TenTec] Ten Tec custom enclosures comment...

Ham in a box jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sun May 25 17:31:49 EDT 2014

YES!   And... if the fountain pen business is any clue, they have few or
no scruples about patent infringement.  I have a bunch of high quality
Parker pens, and a number of $5 Chinese knock offs that have fooled the
local crowd, including a local merchant.  I had clients in the tool and
die business that just knew they were doomed when they received an
order, even from a US address and Occidental name, for EXACTLY TWO
machines.   They take one apart and reverse engineer it, and leave the
other one standing as a model so they always know hot it all goes
together.  Sometimes buy through a "straw man" by which an apparently
disinterested third party will purchase the item, without disclosing the
identity of the ultimate purchaser.

So, even without drawings, they often reverse engineer or just copy
stuff at will.  Intentional patents don't mean much to them.

My friends from Detroit in the auto business say the Chinese government
seems to encourage that sort of thing, especially for products that are
destined for the Chinese domestic market, and not sold overseas or in
the intentional trade.   Unfortunately, those items don't always remain
in the domestic market, and are often sold on eBay and other
international markets.  Example:  Hero Model 616 Doctor pen is a dead
ringer for a 1950s Parker '51" with hooded nib and the variation in the
Parker arrow pocket clip is so small it IS confusingly similar, but what
can ya do?