[TenTec] New Radios in the Future

TT fan jrichards at k8jhr.com
Sat Nov 1 16:24:56 EDT 2014

On 11/1/2014 9:56 AM, Al Gulseth wrote:
> If "modern hams have moved beyond the crystal radio" why are there so many web
> pages on how to build one?

         I don't accept the premise there are that many web pages
         devoted to crystal radio kits, compared to sites dealing with
         more modern technology, like Arduino and Raspberry Pi, PIC,
         stuff.

         The number of web pages on any topic only reflects the number
         of interested authors - not the number of interested readers.
A lot
         of blogs go unread every day.

         I bet my headset sales of crystal radio parts pales in comparison
         to Arduino and related sales, even among ham operators.

> (Note that the TT 13xx series must still be selling
> reasonably well as they haven't disappeared from the web site.)

         Maybe... but it equally possible they have inventory they
         cannot move.

While you may not be aware of it, computer tinkering (by hams and otherwise)
has been going on for as long as I can remember - there were kits for "analog
computers" in the 1950s, and later on the ham mags ...

         Oh... come now...    NO ONE is building a computer kit any
         more.  We assemble computers from components,  and more
         and more components are integrated on the motherboard,
         but there are NO computer kits any more.

         There ARE A LOT MORE computer geeks than radio geeks
         and even radio geeks are computer geeks.  Technology  has
         changed.   The market has changed, and so will products
         people actually buy.

         Cell phones are, essentially, two way radios connected by a
         repeater system.   Compare the Android smart phone market
         with the ham radio and repeater market.   I wonder what the
         future looks like...   I wonder where the money is...?

         I was approached to invest in Bluetooth technology back
         around 1994...  I have sizable investments in several new
         digital technologies.

         What's in YOUR wallet ...?      ;-)       ;-)